Rent My Space is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Rent My Space (Pty/Ltd) of 19 Grosfam ave Sandhurst ext 4 Johannesburg Gauteng
INFORMATION RENT MY SPACE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
Rent My Space may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give to Rent My Space. You may give Rent My Space information about you by filling in forms on the Site (www.rentmyspace.co.za) or Mobile Application, or by corresponding with Rent My Space by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register (including via a Third Party Account) to use the Site and/or Mobile Application, subscribe to Rent My Space Services, make or accept bookings, search for or post Space, book or pay for any associated services that may be available or when you report a problem with the Site or Mobile Application. The information you give Rent My Space may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph and any information you may provide to Rent My Space in respect of the Space.
- Information Rent My Space collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to the Site or Mobile Application Rent My Space may automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types andversions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page responsetimes, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call the customer service number.
- Information Rent My Space receives from other sources. Rent My Space may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites Rent My Space operates or the other services it provides. Rent My Space are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
Rent My Space uses information held about you in the following ways:
• to enable you to access and use the Site, Mobile Application and Services;
• to operate, protect, improve and optimise the Site, the Mobile Application, Rent My Space’s business, and its users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research, and for advertising and marketing;
• to help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Site and Mobile Application, such as fraud detection and prevention, conducting investigations and risk assessments, verifying the address of your listings, verifying any identifications provided by you, and conducting checks against databases such as public government databases;
• to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
• where Rent My Space have your consent, to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent on behalf of Rent My Space’s business partners that Rent My Space think you may find interesting;
• to comply with Rent My Space’s legal obligations, resolve any disputes that Rent My Space may have with any of its users, and enforce its agreements with third parties.
• to notify you about changes to the Service; and
• to administer the Site and Mobile Application and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Your Personal Information may be disclosed as follows:
• Parts of your public profile page that contain personal information may be displayed in other parts of the Site and Mobile Application to other users for marketing purposes.
• You may link your Rent My Space Account to a Third Party Account. In the event that you create this link:
- Some of the information you provide to Rent My Space via your Third Party Account may be published on your Rent My Space Account;
- Your activities on the Site or Mobile Application may be displayed to the contacts on your Third Party Account; and
- The information you provide to Rent My Space from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes.
• Your public listing page will always include information such as the town, city or area in which the Space is located, your public profile photo and your responsiveness in replying to User’s queries. Parts of your public listing page may be displayed in other parts of the Site or Mobile Application to other users for marketing purposes. The Site and Mobile Application may also display the Space’s approximate geographic location on a map, such that a user can see the general area of the Space.
• The Site and Mobile Application allows your public profile and public listing pages to be included in search engines, in which case your public profile and public listing pages will be indexed by search engines and may be published as search results. This option is enabled by default, and you may opt out of this feature by changing your settings on the Site. If you change your settings or the information on your public profile or public listing pages, third-party search engines may not update their databases quickly or at all. Rent My Space does not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing outdated information, including any information indexed by the search engine before you change your settings or the information on your public profile or public listing pages.
• When you submit a request to book a Host’s Space, your full name will become visible to the Host. In addition, if you agree to be contacted by the Host by phone when submitting your request and the Host decides to do so, Rent My Space will call your phone number first, before connecting you with the Host. Rent My Space will not share your phone number unless there is a confirmed booking.
• When your request to book a Host’s Space is accepted by the Host or when you accept a User’s request to book your Space, Rent My Space will disclose some of your personal information to the Host or User. However, your billing information will never be shared with another user.
• When a User uses Space or when you use a Host’s Space, Rent My Space will ask you to review the User or the Host’s Space. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Site and Mobile Application.
• You acknowledge, consent and agree that Rent My Space may access, preserve and disclose your account information and Content if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access, preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) respond to claims asserted against Rent My Space; (b) to comply with legal requirements; (c) to enforce and administer its agreements with users, such as the Terms, (http://www.rentmyspace.co.za/terms) (d) for fraud prevention, risk assessment, investigation, customer support, product development and de-bugging purposes; or (e) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Rent My Space, its users or members of the public. Rent My Space will use reasonable efforts to notify users about law enforcement requests for their data unless prohibited by law or by the government request, or if doing so would be futile or ineffective.
WHERE RENT MY SPACE STORES YOUR PERSONAL DATA
All information you provide to Rent My Space is stored on its secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where Rent My Space has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site or Mobile Application, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Rent My Space ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Rent My Space will do its best to protect your personal data, Rent My Space cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site or Mobile Application; any transmission is at your own risk. Once Rent My Space has received your information, it will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask Rent My Space not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. Rent My Space will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if it intends to use your data for such purposes or if it intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms Rent My Space use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting Rent My Space at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Site and Mobile Application may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of Rent My Space’s partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that Rent My Space does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of R100 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information Rent My Space hold about you.